Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Random, random.

An observation by someone who has read a few books. No claims of it being an expert opinion.

The best of books aren't that well written towards the end. The story might end perfectly, the book may have been beautifully written throughout, the writer may be a magician of words, but some how most of them don't leave the best of words for the end. This is not to suggest that a book should peak at the last page, in fact most of my favourties did'nt have a last few lines that left me breathless.
There's this one book whose last line left me swearing (that's what I do when overwhelmed by beauty) - Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh.
Not that you can't predict what's going to happen at the end, just that to me the last sentence is magical. It's the most perfect last line of all the books I've ever read - " The train went over him and went on to Pakistan".

No comments: